How To Host A Speaker for the DCP Cancer Prevention and Control Colloquia Series
CPFP Fellows are encouraged to invite established researchers and clinicians in their field of research or the broader topic of cancer prevention and control.
- To nominate a speaker for the colloquia series, provide via email the name of your speaker with speaker's expertise and biosketch to Drs. Weed, Dores, and Lavigne at least 6 months in advance of the proposed date.
- Upon approval, contact the speaker informally to secure a confirmation of interest to present for the NCI's DCP Colloquia Series and identify a date for speaking after checking with Lisa Poe for available Colloquia dates.
- Notify Lisa Poe of speaker's commitment; provide speaker's full name, institution, phone and email address. She will write the formal invitation letter to the speaker with necessary information about how to arrange for flights, where to stay, ground transportation, and audio-visual needs. You will receive a copy of the letter of invitation.
- At the same time, invite the speaker to attend the Fellows' Research Meeting before the Colloquium.
- Prior to the lecture date, contact the speaker to check that travel plans, including flights, hotel, and ground transportation have been taken care of, including from the hotel to NCI on the day of the lecture. Also help the speaker arrange for meetings with other NCI scientists and staff.
- Prepare a brief professional statement to introduce the speaker to the audience and moderate questions at the end of the lecture. Be sure to end the lecture at noon (1 hour). Act as a guide for speaker throughout the day, including lunch plans. (You do not have to pay for their lunch as they receive a per diem to cover this expense but you should make sure that they get something to eat and that they don't eat alone!) Appropriate dress is required of the host.