MINUTES OF THE CANCER PREVENTION FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM'S
FELLOWS ADVISORY BOARD (FAB)
June 3, 2009
FAB Members Present: Gretchen Gierach (outgoing co-chairperson), Yvonne Hunt, James McClain, Gwen Murphy, Bríd Ryan (incoming co-chairperson), Goli Samimi (outgoing co-chairperson), Salma Shariff-Marco (incoming co-chairperson) and Joanne Watters
Others Present: David Nelson, Dana van Bemmel, Jessica Faupel-Badger, Paul Doria-Rose, Erika Waters, Kate Weaver, as well as the incoming CPFP fellows who just finished their MPH year at Hopkins
Missions of the CPFP Fellows Advisory Board (FAB)
- To facilitate broader fellow involvement in the planning and execution of CPFP activities, including but not limited to recruitment, orientation, training, career development and research support.
- To serve as a resource for and represent the interest of the fellows to the CPFP leadership.
- To serve as a resource to the CPFP leadership.
- Review of FAB mission and by-laws for incoming Fellows
- Brief review of by-laws, conditions of membership and the election of co-chairpersons.
- New FAB members were welcomed (Yvonne Hunt and James McClain)
- All current Cancer Prevention Fellows are eligible for participation and/or membership in the FAB. Fellows may join the FAB at any time by remailingg the co-chairs!
- Ballot for new co-chairpersons
- All fellows that were present at the meeting, with the exception of the incoming fellows, were issued ballots: Bríd Ryan and Salma Shariff-Marco were elected as the new FAB co-chairpersons
- Update on orientation for incoming Fellows
- The orientation week schedule (June 22nd) was finalized and will be circulated to Fellows.
- Many Fellows have already volunteered* for the "Preceptor Search" session and the "Behind Closed Doors" session, both on June 24th. Salma Shariff-Marco has taken the lead to organize the "Preceptor Search" presentation.
- Details of the pot-luck lunch on Monday June 22nd to follow in an e-mail from Jessica—send your choices to Ellen, who will put together the list of who is bringing which dish.
- Guidelines for Fellows Research Meeting
- Discussion following Fellows Research Meeting of May 27th allowed all Fellows present to voice their concerns/opinions regarding the structure and purpose of Fellows Research Meeting. All Fellows are invited to share whatever further comments they might have with the Cancer Prevention Fellowship staff.
- Cancer Prevention Fellowship Staff Items
- Studly will begin putting together a handbook for incoming Fellows. The handbook will act as "Go-To" resource for incoming Fellows and will be separate than the OITE Post-Doctoral handbook, and more specific for CPFP. If fellows have any suggestions to include in the handbook, please let the staff know.
- David Nelson has spoken with Jill Koshiol (former CPFP fellow) and others regarding expansion of training initiatives for Cancer Prevention Fellows.
- Jessica Faupel-Badger discussed the Cancer Prevention Fellowship program staff's plans to assign each Fellow to one of the Associate Directors (Jessica Faupel-Badger or Dana van Bemmel)*. The suggested plan lists Dana van Bemmel as the point of contact for incoming and 2nd year Fellows and Jessica Faupel-Badger as the point of contact for 3rd and 4th year Fellows. It is hoped that the proposed system would simplify administrative issues on a day-to-day basis for Fellows. Administrative tasks shared between Tiffany and Studly will be formalized soon and disseminated to Fellows.
- David Nelson will speak on future administrative/organizational issues relating to the Cancer Prevention Fellowship at the 8th Annual Cancer Prevention Fellows' Scientific Symposium (to be held on September 16, 2009).
- Update on Summer Curriculum
- The schedule for this year's Summer Curriculum in Cancer Prevention is almost finalized though a contractor has not been appointed as yet. The CPFP staff circulated a draft syllabus* of summer course speakers in order that Fellows may initiate networking meetings with invited speakers should they so desire.
- The Annual Advances in Cancer Prevention speaker will be Dr. Olufunmilayo Olopade.
The next FAB meeting will be on Wednesday, August 26th at 11 a.m.
- List of fellows who volunteered for the orientation activities on June 24th
- CPFP point-of-contacts overview
- Draft syllabus for summer course